Cabbage is a leafy most popular vegetable belongs to the “Brassica” family, which also include Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, kale and broccoli. It may be spring green, red, green, or white in color and round in shape. It is used as raw, as salads, cooking, juice and soups. It has high nutritional value and amazing medicinal properties also, because of the good source of vitamin C, A, K, Potassium, fiber, calcium, iron, magnesium, thiamine, riboflavin, niacin and panthothenic acid, folates, phosphorus, zinc and omega 3 fatty acids. So check out the amazing and numerous health benefits of eating cabbage as follows:
- Due to the presence of high water contents, it is very low in fat, calories and rich source of dietary fiber, so it is the best food for weight loss and health conscious people. It also stimulates the digestive system and prevent constipation.
- It contains Phyto- chemicals, which helps to protect against breast, colon and prostate cancers. These chemicals also help to decrease the LDL (BAD) cholesterol level in the blood and promotes HDL (GOOD) cholesterol level.
- Cabbage is an excellent source of vitamin C (It contains More Vitamin C than Oranges) known as a powerful natural antioxidant, which helps our body fight with free radicals damages and boost the immune system. It is necessary for the production of collagen, which strengthens the skin and helps to heal wounds.
- It contains amino acid Glutamine, which has anti-inflammatory properties and reduce the pain caused by arthritis and osteoporosis. It has the ability to cure peptic or stomach ulcers.
- It contains vitamin A, which is good for eyes to prevent from age-related macular degeneration and cataracts. It also contains an excellent source of vitamin K, which helps to promote healthy and strong bones and also helps to cure the Alzheimer’s disease.
- The presence of potassium helps to control heart beat rate and blood pressure and iron is necessary for the formation of red blood cells. It also contains manganese, which is used by the body as a co-factor for the antioxidant enzyme, superoxide dismutase.
- Due to the presence of sulfur-based compounds called glucosinolates, that helps to reduce the risk of cancer and slow the rate of the growth of tumor cells in the body.
- The presence of lactic acid help to reduce the muscle soreness.
So start eating cabbage to get all these amazing above said health benefits. Cabbage has many other health benefits like to treat acne, eczema or psoriasis, mastitis, reduce the risk of gestational diabetes, helps in detoxification of the body, treatment of fungus infection and gastritis, rheumatism, gout, renal calculi, useful in headache, asthma, bronchitis and prevention of anemia. If you know more health benefits of cabbage, then please share your knowledge with us through our comment box given below to serve others better.